As a benefits-eligible employee, Syracuse University offers you the option of three health plans: SUBlue, SUOrange and SUPro. All three health plan options include medical benefits administered by Excellus BlueCross BlueShield (Excellus BCBS) and prescription drug benefits administered by Optum Rx. In general, the same services are covered under all three plans, but with a different deductible and copay/coinsurance structure.
On this page:
Excellus BCBS uses their internal Medical Policies (reference the Let Us Help section at the bottom of the webpage and click on Medical Policies) to help determine how certain services are covered under the plan. The Excellus BCBS Medical Policies are a guide to be used by participating health care practitioners and are not intended to certify coverage or reimbursement. Medical services are constantly changing and Excellus BCBS reserves the right to periodically review and update the Medical Policies. Pre-certification for certain services may be required; refer to the plan documents or contact Excellus BCBS for more information.
A summary of the University’s three medical plan options is provided in our At a Glance: A Comparison of CY 2023 Health Care Plans [PDF] and you can compare the plans using the Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) documents. For complete coverage details, consult the University’s Medical Benefits Summary Plan Description (SPD) and the Medical Benefits Booklet, available on MySlice under Employee Resources. If you would like to receive a copy of the SPD or the Medical Benefits Booklet, please contact HR Shared Services at 315.443.4042.
The following table highlights some key differences among the plans:
|Network coverage||Provides in-network and out-of-network coverage||Provides in-network coverage only||Provides in-network and out-of-network coverage|
|Referrals||Not required||Not required||Not required|
|Your cost when you use an in-network provider||Generally deductible and copays||Generally deductible and copays||Generally deductible and coinsurance|
|Schedule of benefits document||SUBlue for CY 2023 [PDF]||SUOrange for CY 2023 [PDF]||SUPro for CY 2023 [PDF]|
If you’re enrolled in health coverage through the University, you and your eligible dependents have access to the following:
- Telehealth Coverage: In response to the global health emergency, telehealth coverage was introduced to ensure members had access to care. These services include both provider-facilitated telehealth coverage as well as telehealth through MDLIVE, at the equivalent cost-sharing associated with in-person visits. MDLIVE is a national telehealth provider that provides patients with 24/7 access to a network of board-certified doctors and licensed therapists that can treat more than 50 non-emergency conditions via a computer, mobile device or simply by calling 866.692.5045 (TTY: 800.770.5531). In addition to the services provided through MDLIVE, if your health care provider, including a behavioral health provider, offers virtual and telephonic options for care, eligible services will be covered under the health plan.
- 24/7 Nurse Call Line: Contact a nurse by phone anytime—24 hours a day, seven days a week—by calling 800.493.0318 (TTY: 800.662.1220). Specially trained registered nurses from Excellus BCBS can provide support and education for members with chronic or complex health conditions, or provide answers to more general health questions.
- Excellus BCBS Dedicated Customer Care Team: If you have medical benefit questions and would like personalized assistance, you may contact the Excellus Dedicated Customer Care Team at 800.493.0318 (TTY: 800.662.1220) Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. EST or Friday from 9 a.m.-8 p.m. EST.
Many common preventive care services are covered at no cost to you. For a list of covered services, please review the following website. These standards will apply to in-network services only, unless specified otherwise in the Schedule of Benefits. Frequency and age limitations may apply.
You will maximize the value of your benefit when your physician or facility participates with the Excellus BCBS network. You should confirm that your medical providers are in the network before each visit, because the network is subject to change. If your provider does not participate and you would like Excellus BCBS to attempt to recruit them, please contact Excellus BCBS at 800.493.0318 (TTY: 800.662.1220).
The University pays a significant portion of the cost of your medical coverage and you pay the remaining cost of the premium through payroll deduction. The Schedule A contributions for medical coverage automatically apply, unless you qualify, apply and are approved for reduced Schedule B contributions. Certain employees represented by the SEIU collective bargaining agreement are automatically enrolled in the Schedule B medical contributions.
The monthly costs listed below are based on the 12-month calendar year. Actual deductions from each paycheck will vary depending upon your deduction cycle (e.g., weekly vs. semi-monthly, academic year vs. calendar year).
2023 Monthly Health Plan Contributions
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner||$388.57||$377.41||$356.58
|Employee + Child(ren)||$338.59||$328.85||$310.52|
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner + Child(ren)||$560.59||$544.53||$515.06
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner||$296.11||$287.49||$270.05
|Employee + Child(ren)||$259.77||$252.21||$236.91
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner + Child(ren)||$421.28||$409.02||$384.20
Should you have any questions, please reach out to our HR Shared Services team at 315.443.4042.
- Benefits Eligibility Policy includes information about coverage for dependents up to age 26 and domestic partner coverage.
- Reference our Coverage Examples Guide [PDF] to see, in general, how the deductible and copay/coinsurance are applied to certain services for SUBlue, SUOrange, and SUPro.
- Reduced Medical Contributions (Schedule B) -includes eligibility and application information.
- Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC)
- 2023 SUBlue and SUOrange Schedule of Benefits [PDF]
- 2023 SUPro Schedule of Benefits [PDF]
- 2023 At a Glance: A Comparison of Health Care Plans [PDF]
- International Medical Coverage: Frequently Asked Questions [PDF]
- Vaccinations Available through the Pharmacy [PDF]
- Preventive Care
- MDLIVE: Telehealth Benefit
- COVID-19 Testing Coverage
- Excellus BCBS Participating Provider Directory Instructions
- Excellus BCBS website
- Medical Claim Forms
Marketplace Coverage Notice
- As required by the Federal transparency in coverage requirements, as of July 1, 2022, we are posting in-network and out-of-network pricing information that is maintained on an Excellus BCBS website. Please note that, as required by Federal regulations, the information is posted in a machine-readable format and may not be of practical use to you. If you are enrolled in Syracuse University medical benefits, you may find it more useful to login to your online Excellus BCBS account.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained within this website is accurate. However, benefits are governed by legal documents (which, in certain circumstances, may include insurance contracts). If there is any difference between the information in this website and the official documents, the official documents will control. As is the case with all of Syracuse University’s employee benefit plans, the University reserves the right to modify or terminate these benefits at any time.