International Employees

Syracuse University has a proud tradition of welcoming international faculty, staff and visiting scholars from around the world who enliven our community and enrich our scholarship.  Syracuse University, through the Office of University Counsel (UC), is pleased to support these scholars and their hiring or host departments by assisting with immigration-related matters and providing information to help scholars and their families settle into Syracuse University and the surrounding community.

Types of Visas Sponsored for International Professors, Researchers, and Specialized Staff Positions

The UC, in consultation with the Syracuse University host department, will determine appropriate immigration status for your employment at Syracuse University.  The UC will work with the academic department to facilitate an initial sponsorship petition, or for individuals currently hosted or employed by Syracuse University, extension of stay.  For specific information about visa categories commonly sponsored by Syracuse University, please review the categories below.

  • H-1B Temporary Workers: Syracuse University sponsors individuals for H-1B status for full-time “specialty occupations” at the University. Typically, H-1B sponsorship is appropriate for faculty and eligible staff positions.
  • O-1 Persons of Extraordinary Ability: Syracuse University will sponsor an individual for O-1 status when the individual’s credentials establish extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics and when H-1B sponsorship is not possible.
  • TN Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Workers: TN status is available only to Canadian or Mexican citizens for particular professions listed in Appendix 1603.D.1 of NAFTA.  At Syracuse University, TN is appropriate for teaching and some staff positions.
  • Permanent Residents: Syracuse University may sponsor faculty and some staff for permanent residency in one of three employment-based permanent residency categories:  EB-1 for outstanding teaching and research; EB-2 for advanced degree professionals; and EB-3 for skilled workers.
  • J-1 Exchange Visitors: J-1 status is appropriate for visiting professors and researchers at Syracuse University.  J-1 Exchange visitors can be short- or long-term visiting appointments for teaching, research and training.  J-1 status cannot be used for tenure track appointments.  For information on Syracuse University’s J-1 program, please contact the Slutzker Center at 315.443.2457.

Questions? Contact:
Office of University Counsel (UC)
Jennifer Gavilondo, Associate General Counsel
Crouse-Hinds Hall, Suite 513
900 South Crouse Avenue
Syracuse, NY  13244
phone: 315.443.4210