Dependent Care FSA

Important Dependent Care FSA Updates:

Deadline Extended to Submit Eligible 2019 Expenses for Reimbursement:

The deadline for employees to submit eligible expenses for reimbursement from their remaining 2019 Dependent Care FSA has been extended for up to 60 days after the Coronavirus (COVID-19) national health emergency is declared over by the federal government. Once the national health emergency is declared over and the 60 days have expired, any unused funds from 2019 will not be rolled over for use in 2020.

Note: When employees log into their HealthEquity/WageWorks account, they will see a “claim by” date of Dec. 31, 2020 for their 2019 FSA. The claim by date is subject to change depending on when the Outbreak Period has been declared over. Therefore, employees are encouraged to submit claims for expenses incurred during 2019 as soon as possible.

Should you have any questions on the reimbursement process, please contact the HealthEquity/WageWorks customer care team at 877.924.3967 (TTY: 866.353.8058).

Syracuse University offers employees the opportunity to contribute pre-tax dollars to a Dependent Care FSA administered by HealthEquity/WageWorks.  If you have to pay for daycare and related expenses for a dependent child or adult so that you and your spouse/domestic partner can work or attend school, you can use a Dependent Care FSA.

Visit the HealthEquity/WageWorks website or call HealthEquity/WageWorks at 877.924.3967 (TTY: 866.353.8058) for more information.

On this page:

Benefit Design

The Dependent Care FSA offers tax savings on eligible child and elder care expenses provided by qualified caregivers.  You generally can contribute up to $5,000 per household annually to this account. The maximum limit is $2,500 for married individuals filing separate returns.

Keep in mind that in January (or as of your effective date of enrollment if later) you will be making your regular dependent care payments to your child care provider, but your account will not yet be funded. You cannot request reimbursement from the Dependent Care FSA for more than has been deposited into it. Depending on the amount of your contribution, it may take more or less time to build up enough of a balance to be reimbursed for your expenses.

Eligible Dependent Care Expenses

These accounts reimburse the cost of care for your qualifying child (under age 13) or other qualifying dependent, while you work or which enables you to work. Your care provider must provide his/her Social Security or Tax ID number. Care may be provided by a family member such as a parent or grandparent, but an FSA will not reimburse care provided by someone who is your tax dependent (such as an older child watching a younger child).

The HealthEquity/WageWorks website has a searchable database of eligible dependent care expenses.

Eligible expenses require a receipt that shows payment was made to an eligible caregiver that includes service dates, dependent’s name, type of service, amount billed and provider’s name and address. Credit card receipts, canceled checks and balance forward statements do not meet the requirements for acceptable documentation.

Common Dependent Care Expenses

  • Babysitting or au pair services
  • Before/after-school programs
  • Day care and nursery schools
  • Summer day camp
  • Preschool programs
  • Elder care services

Ineligible Dependent Care Expenses

  • Private school tuition (kindergarten and up)
  • Lessons
  • Sports registration fees
  • Sleep-away camp
  • Tutoring

Reimbursement Process

The reimbursement process through HealthEquity/WageWorks is simple:

  • Incur your eligible expenses and pay bills as you normally would.
  • Submit your claim, receipts and any additional required information to HealthEquity/WageWorks by selecting one of the following options:
    • EZ Receipts App: Allows you to file your claim from your smart phone or other mobile device.
    • FSA Online Account: Log into the secure website to submit a claim and view all of your account information.
    • Pay Me Back Paper Claim Form [PDF]: Complete the paper form and mail or fax your submission to HealthEquity/WageWorks with your receipts. Reimbursements will be sent to you via paper check as a default, but you can enroll in direct deposit online by logging into your HealthEquity/WageWorks account.

You will have until Apr. 30 of the following plan year to submit claims for expenses incurred during the plan year Jan. 1 (or as of your effective date of enrollment if later) through Dec. 31.

Please keep in mind that if your employment ends (or you otherwise become ineligible for benefits during the calendar year), eligible expenses will be limited to those incurred prior to your separation date.  There is no COBRA continuation available for a Dependent Care FSA.

Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained within this website is accurate. However, benefits are governed by legal documents (which, in certain circumstances, may include insurance contracts). If there is any difference between the information in this website and the official documents, the official documents will control. As is the case with all of Syracuse University’s employee benefit plans, the University reserves the right to modify or terminate these benefits at any time.