We can all stay healthier and prevent certain health problems by eating right, exercising, getting enough sleep, and staying away from things that can harm our health, such as tobacco. But, there is one other part of preventive care that should not be overlooked – getting a routine annual exam.
Visiting your doctor for a routine physical is one of the best ways you can take care of your health. Even if you’re not experiencing any health problems, you should consider having a yearly exam.
Preventive care exams and screenings can often lead to finding health problems early, when your chances for treatment and recovery are better. An annual exam also provides you with the opportunity to talk with your doctor about any health concerns you may have.
Many preventive care services are covered in full for Syracuse University Medical Plan participants when visiting a physician or facility that participates in the Excellus BCBS network, including:
- Routine well child care
- Routine adult annual physical exams
- Routine colorectal cancer screening
- Routine mammography screenings (one per calendar year for ages 35 and older with exceptions if high risk)
- Routine cervical cancer screenings (one per calendar year for ages 18 and older)
- Routine prostate cancer screenings (one per calendar year for ages 50 and older with exceptions if high risk)
- Vaccinations: View stay healthy and get vaccinated [PDF]
- Screenings for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) along with prevention counseling for adults at higher risk
Additional information regarding the University’s medical benefits, including benefit plan summaries and access to the Excellus BCBS provider directory, is available on the HR website. You may also contact our Excellus BCBS Dedicated Customer Care Team toll free at 800.493.0318 (TTY: 800.662.1220) for more information about preventive care services.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained within this website is accurate. However, benefits are governed by legal documents (which, in certain circumstances, may include insurance contracts). If there is any difference between the information in this website and the official documents, the official documents will control. As is the case with all of Syracuse University’s employee benefit plans, the University reserves the right to modify or terminate these benefits at any time.