During this uncertain, evolving (and somewhat scary) time of social distancing, new remote work arrangements, constant news coverage of COVID-19, and mad dashes to the store to stock up on essentials, you probably know that staying calm and carrying on, is the reasonable thing to do. But it can be easier said than done.
The world may have changed rapidly in the past month or so, but the ability to learn ways to stay positive has not. It can be hard to know how to stay positive at work and in life while all around us seems full of bad news. The good news is, you can start practicing the power of positivity at any time! Consciously focusing on staying positive can impact your overall well-being (in a good way!).
Start your day off right
Doing something that gets you in a good mood first thing in the morning can help set the tone for the day. What gets you smiling, calm, and upbeat?
A few suggestions:
- Listen to a podcast
- Make a healthy breakfast
- Turn on your favorite playlist
- Download the Sanvello mindfulness app-FREE!
Implement the 5 second rule
When your mind is heading in a negative direction, count backward from 5, to give yourself time to redirect your thoughts in a more positive way.
Just start counting backwards to yourself 5-4-3-2-1. The counting will distract you from the worries and inertia that often comes during unsettling situations.
Try the 5 second rule when:
- Negative thoughts start spiraling
- A conversation is going in the wrong direction
- You need motivation to get started
Work on your own well-being
We can’t do our best if we are not feeling well—either physically or emotionally. Make it your personal challenge to focus on your own well-being. During times of stress such as the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s easy to let healthy habits fall by the wayside and let the negativity creep into our thoughts.
Healthy Habits = Staying Positive
- Check-in daily with a friend or neighbor, it will do you both good!
- Schedule mini workouts throughout the day
- Reduce time on social media
- Keep your water bottle filled and handy
- Stay on a sleep schedule
- Start a new healthy habit
Add Value to Someone Else’s Life
Right now, we can all use some uplifting! Think about ways you can take action to bring joy to someone’s day. This will increase your well-being and those you lift up!
Some ideas to try:
- Be kind
- Consider sending a SHOUT OUT to a colleague
- Be mindful of word choices
- Listen, uninterrupted
- Offer assistance on a work project
- Express compassion
- Send someone a note, just to check-in
- If you are well-stocked at your home, ask a neighbor if they are in need of something that you may be able to drop on their front step