As a benefits-eligible employee, Syracuse University offers you the option of three health plans: SUBlue, SUOrange and SUPro. All three health plan options include medical benefits administered by Excellus BlueCross BlueShield (Excellus BCBS) and prescription drug benefits administered by OptumRx. In general, the same services are covered under all three plans, but with a different deductible and copay/coinsurance structure.
On this page:
Excellus BCBS uses their internal Medical Policies to help determine how certain services are covered under the plan. The Excellus BCBS Medical Policies are a guide to be used by participating health care practitioners and are not intended to certify coverage or reimbursement. Medical services are constantly changing and Excellus reserves the right to periodically review and update Medical Policies. Pre-certification for certain services may be required; refer to the plan documents or contact Excellus BCBS for more information.
A summary of the University’s three medical plan options is provided in our At a Glance: A Comparison of Health Care Plans [PDF] and you can compare the plans using the Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) documents. For complete coverage details, consult the University’s Medical Benefits Summary Plan Description (SPD) and the Medical Benefits Booklet which are available on MySlice under Employee Resources. If you would like to receive a copy of the SPD or the Medical Benefits Booklet, please contact HR Shared Services at 315.443.4042 or email email@example.com.
The following table highlights some key differences among the plans:
|Network coverage||Provides in-network and out-of-network coverage||Provides in-network coverage only||Provides in-network and out-of-network coverage|
|Referrals||Not required||Not required||Not required|
|Your cost when you use an in-network provider||Generally deductible and copays||Generally deductible and copays||Generally deductible and coinsurance|
|Schedule of benefits document||SUBlue [PDF]||SUOrange [PDF]||SUPro [PDF]|
If you’re enrolled in health coverage through the University, you and your eligible dependents have access to the following:
- Telemedicine Coverage: Effective April 1, 2020, you have access to MDLIVE, a national telemedicine provider that provides patients with 24/7 access to a network of board-certified doctors and licensed therapists that can treat more than 50 non-emergency conditions via a computer, mobile device or simply by calling 866.692.5045 (TTY: 800.770.5531). In addition to the services provided through MDLIVE, if your health care provider, including a behavioral health provider, offers virtual and telephonic options for care, eligible services will be covered under the health plan. During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) global health emergency, eligible telemedicine services are covered in full.
- 24/7 Nurse Call Line: Contact a nurse by phone anytime—24 hours a day, seven days a week—by calling 800.493.0318 (TTY: 800.662.1220). Specially trained registered nurses from Excellus BCBS can provide support and education for members with chronic or complex health conditions, or provide answers to more general health questions.
- Excellus BCBS Office Hours: Meet one-on-one with an experienced Excellus BCBS representative for personalized assistance with your health plan questions. Registration is not required and the schedule can be found here. If you require assistance outside of the on-campus office hours, you may contact the Excellus Dedicated Customer Care Team at 800.493.0318 (TTY: 800.662.1220) Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. EST or Friday from 9 a.m.-8 p.m. EST.
- Fitness: In addition to the physical activity resources on campus, all health plan participants have access to a discount available through the Fitness Your Way™ program that provides access to 10,000+ gyms nationwide. Visit the Wellness Initiative website to learn more.
Many common preventive care services are covered at no cost to you. For a list of covered services, please review the following website. These standards will apply to in-network services only, unless specified otherwise in the Schedule of Benefits. Frequency and age limitations may apply.
You will maximize the value of your benefit when your physician or facility participates in the Excellus BCBS network. You should confirm that your medical providers are in the network before each visit, because the network is subject to change. If your provider does not participate and you would like Excellus BCBS to attempt to recruit them, please contact Excellus at 800.493.0318 (TTY: 800.662.1220).
The University pays a significant portion of the cost of your medical coverage and you pay the remaining cost of the premium through payroll deduction. The Schedule A contributions for medical coverage automatically apply, unless you qualify, apply and are approved for reduced Schedule B contributions. Certain employees represented by the SEIU collective bargaining agreement are automatically enrolled in the Schedule B medical contributions.
The monthly costs listed below are based on the 12-month calendar year. Actual deductions from each paycheck will vary depending upon your deduction cycle (e.g., weekly vs. semi-monthly, academic year vs. calendar year).
2020 Health Plan Contributions
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner||$315.86||$306.67||$288.06|
|Employee + Child(ren)||$277.10||$269.03||$252.71|
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner + Child(ren)||$449.38||$436.30||$409.83|
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner||$276.69||$268.64||$252.34|
|Employee + Child(ren)||$242.74||$235.67||$221.37|
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner + Child(ren)||$393.66||$382.20||$359.01|
- Benefits Eligibility Policy (Including information about coverage for dependents up to age 26 and Domestic Partner coverage)
- Reference our Coverage Examples Guide [PDF] to see, in general, how the deductible and copay/coinsurance are applied to certain services for SUBlue, SUOrange, and SUPro.
- Reduced Medical Contributions (Schedule B) (Eligibility and Application Information)
- Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC)
- 2020 SUBlue and SUOrange Schedule of Benefits [PDF]
- 2020 SUPro Schedule of Benefits [PDF]
- 2020 At a Glance: A Comparison of Health Care Plans [PDF]
- International Medical Coverage: Frequently Asked Questions [PDF]
- Vaccinations Available through the Pharmacy [PDF]
- Excellus BCBS Participating Provider Directory Instructions and on Campus Office Hours
- Excellus BCBS website
- Medical Claim Forms
Marketplace Coverage Notice
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained within this website is accurate. However, benefits are governed by legal documents (which, in certain circumstances, may include insurance contracts). If there is any difference between the information in this website and the official documents, the official documents will control. As is the case with all of Syracuse University’s employee benefit plans, the University reserves the right to modify or terminate these benefits at any time.