Syracuse University offers three medical and prescription drug plan options to all benefits-eligible employees. All three plan options include medical benefits administered by Excellus BlueCross BlueShield (Excellus BCBS) and prescription drug benefits administered by OptumRx.
Contact our Excellus BCBS Dedicated Customer Care Team toll-free at 800.493.0318 (TTY/TTD 800.662.1220) or log into your secure member website at ExcellusBCBS.com/syredu.
On this page:
The University offers a choice of three medical plans, all administered by Excellus BCBS. The same health care services are covered under SUBlue, SUOrange and SUPro, but your share of the cost will vary. A summary of the three plans is provided in At a Glance: A Comparison of Health Care Plans [PDF] and you can compare the plans using the Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC). In addition, the Medical Benefits Summary Plan Description (SPD) and the Medical Benefits Booklet can be found on MySlice under Employee Resources.
The following table highlights some key differences among the plans:
|Network coverage||Provides in-network and out-of-network coverage||Provides in-network coverage only||Provides in-network and out-of-network coverage|
|Referrals||Not required||Not required||Not required|
|Your cost when you use an in-network provider||Generally deductible and copays||Generally deductible and copays||Generally deductible and coinsurance|
|Schedule of benefits document||SUBlue [PDF]||SUOrange [PDF]||SUPro [PDF]|
- Hearing Aids: 50% of the allowed charge, up to $750 per hearing aid
- Chiropractic Care: spinal manipulation and related x-rays
- Acupuncture: for palliative pain relief when rendered by a certified acupuncturist
- Transgender Healthcare: services for gender confirming and affirming surgeries, transition-related mental health care and hormone therapy
- International Claims: If you receive health care services from a participating BCBS Global Core provider, you can present your Excellus BCBS member ID card and pay the applicable deductible and copay/coinsurance under SUBlue, SUOrange, or SUPro. If you are enrolled in SUBlue or SUPro and you see an international provider who does not participate in the BCBS Global Core network, you can submit those claims to Excellus BCBS for reimbursement as though the providers were participating; however, there is no coverage for non-participating providers in the SUOrange plan.
- 24/7 Nurse Call Line: Contact a nurse by phone anytime – 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Excellus BCBS specially trained registered nurses can provide support and education for members with chronic or complex health conditions, or provide answers to more general health questions.
- In addition to the physical activity resources on campus, all medical plan participants have access to a discount available through the Fitness Your Way™ program that provides access to 10,000+ gyms nationwide. In addition, faculty and staff members have access to special offers at thousands of nationwide chains and local fitness centers through the GlobalFit gym discount network, as well as various fitness centers in the Syracuse community. Visit our Wellness Initiative website to learn more.
Pre-certification for certain services may be required; refer to the plan documents or contact Excellus BCBS for more information.
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act expanded coverage for preventive care services. Many common preventive care services are covered at no cost to you. For a list of covered services, please see www.HealthCare.gov/center/regulations/prevention.html. These standards will apply to in-network services only, unless specified otherwise in the Schedule of Benefits. Frequency and age limitations may apply.
You will maximize the value of your benefit when your physician or facility participates in the Excellus BCBS network. You should confirm that your medical providers are in the network before each visit, because the network is subject to change. If your provider does not participate and you would like Excellus BCBS to attempt to recruit him or her, please contact Excellus at 800.493.0318 (TTY/TTD 800.662.1220).
SU pays a significant portion of the cost of your medical coverage and you pay the remaining cost of the premium through pre-tax payroll deduction. The Schedule A rates for medical coverage automatically apply, unless you qualify, apply and are approved for reduced Schedule B rates. Certain employees represented by the SEIU collective bargaining agreement are automatically enrolled in the Schedule B medical rates.
Costs for domestic partners and their children are paid on an after-tax basis.
The monthly costs listed below are based on the 12-month calendar year. Actual deductions from each paycheck will vary depending upon your deduction cycle (e.g., weekly vs. semi-monthly, academic year vs. calendar year).
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner||$312.73||$303.63||$285.21|
|Employee + Child(ren)||$274.35||$266.37||$250.21|
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner + Child(ren)||$444.93||$431.98||$405.77|
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner||$273.95||$265.98||$249.84|
|Employee + Child(ren)||$240.33||$233.34||$219.18|
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner + Child(ren)||$389.76||$378.42||$355.46|
- Benefits Eligibility Policy (Including information about coverage for dependents up to age 26 and Domestic Partner coverage)
- Frequently Asked Questions Resource Guide
- Reference our 2018 coverage examples guide [PDF] to see, in general, how the deductible and copay/coinsurance are applied to certain services for SUBlue, SUOrange, and SUPro.
- Reduced Medical Rates (Schedule B) (Eligibility and Application Information)
- SUBlue and SUOrange Schedule of Benefits [PDF]
- SUPro Schedule of Benefits [PDF]
- Vaccinations Available though the Pharmacy [PDF]
- Excellus BCBS Participating Provider Directory Instructions and on Campus Office Hours
- Excellus BCBS website
- Medical Claim Forms
Marketplace Coverage Notice
Questions? Contact the HR Service Center at 315.443.4042 or e-mail email@example.com.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained within this website is accurate. However, the benefits are governed by legal documents (which, in certain circumstances, may include insurance contracts). If there is any difference between the information in this website and the official documents, the official documents will control. As is the case with all of Syracuse University’s employee benefit plans, the University reserves the right to modify or terminate these benefits at any time.