Congratulations! You may be busy planning a wedding, but don’t overlook these important to-dos:
1. Changes to your benefits
- You have 31 days from the date of the marriage to make changes to your benefits. You may:
- Add your eligible spouse and eligible dependents to your medical, dental and vision plans.
- Cancel your health coverage (with proof you are enrolling in your spouse’s plans).
- Increase or decrease your health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs), as applicable.
- Review your life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) options and make any necessary changes.
- Consider options available to you outside of the University when you are evaluating your benefits during this time period.
- Contact HR Shared Services to make any of these changes. If you do not contact us within 31 days, you must wait for the next annual enrollment to make changes to your benefits.
- You will need to provide a copy of your marriage certificate and any dependents’ birth certificates, if applicable.
- Review eligibility for transferring Remitted Tuition credits to your spouse.
- Consider any changes you need to make to your voluntary retirement contributions or auto and home insurance.
2. Review and update your beneficiaries
- You may wish to update your beneficiary designations [PDF] for life and AD&D insurance. You are automatically the beneficiary of any spouse/same-sex domestic partner or child life insurance.
- Your spouse is automatically the beneficiary for your 403(b) retirement account, unless he or she signs written consent for you to name someone else as the beneficiary. Call TIAA at 855.842.2873 (TTY: 800.842.2755) or visit tiaa.org/syr for assistance.
3. Update your personal information and payroll tax withholding, as needed
- By logging into MySlice, you can update your address, phone number, email, emergency contact and military status.
- While in MySlice, you can also update your federal and state tax withholding status.
- You can add a preferred name, which will display in many University software systems, including as your email display name. To change your name in University records, you must provide a copy of your new Social Security card issued in your new name and submit a completed name change form [PDF] to HR Shared Services.
Should you have any questions, or require accommodations to access any information on this webpage, please reach out to HR Shared Services at 315.443.4042.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained within this website is accurate. However, benefits are governed by legal documents (which, in certain circumstances, may include insurance contracts). If there is any difference between the information in this website and the official documents, the official documents will control. As is the case with all of Syracuse University’s employee benefit plans, the University reserves the right to modify or terminate these benefits at any time.