As Syracuse University strives to create a more inclusive campus, we are proud to offer employee benefits that support members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and Asexual (LGBTQA+) communities. These benefits are available to eligible employees, their legal spouses or same- or opposite-sex domestic partners and their children. Benefits include:
- Medical coverage for gender-confirming or affirming surgeries, mental health counseling and hormone therapy for transitioning individuals;
- the Faculty and Staff Assistance program through Carebridge, which provides free, confidential telephonic or in-person counseling and online resources;
- Supplemental life insurance for same-sex domestic partners;
- Generous paid time off policies, such as funeral/bereavement and employee sick time, that may be used for family members, including domestic partners; and
- Adoption Assistance benefits to provide reimbursement for adoption-related expenses.
All members of the SU campus community can set a Preferred Name in MySlice, which will display in many University software systems, including as their email display name.
The LGBT Resource Center serves all Syracuse University students, faculty and staff, providing resources and support to members of the LGBTQA community and allies.
The University Senate Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBT) Concerns focuses on improving the campus climate for LGBT faculty members, staff members, and students. The committee also concerns itself with education of campus leaders about LGBT issues and facilitation of public dialogue on LGBT issues.
Academically, the LGBT Studies program offers opportunities to learn about LGBT experience, history and scholarship. Eligible employees can utilize Remitted and Dependent Tuition benefits to access these courses.