|Visit the Open Enrollment website to learn more about benefit changes for 2020.
All benefits-eligible employees may elect Delta Dental insurance with or without the Vision Service Plan (VSP). SEIU bargaining unit employees also have the option of Service Employees Benefit Fund (SEBF) Dental insurance with or without the SEBF Vision Plan.
On this page:
Choose the dental plan that will best meet your needs:
- The Preventive Plan [PDF] provides coverage for two annual exams and cleanings per calendar year, and temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ) services. To help maintain your oral health during pregnancy, Delta Dental offers one additional exam and cleaning to pregnant women.
- The Comprehensive Plan [PDF] provides coverage for services listed in the Preventive Plan, as well as for basic and major restorative services, oral surgery, endodontics, periodontics, and prosthodontics. During pregnancy, women may elect either the enhanced benefit for pregnant women in the Preventive Plan or one additional periodontal scaling and root planing per quadrant.
Both Delta Dental options offer two levels of coverage depending on whether the dentist participates in a Delta Dental network. If the dentist does not participate in a Delta Dental network, your out-of-pocket costs will generally be higher. Dentists who do not participate in the network may bill you for the difference between his or her usual charges and the allowable amount for those services as determined by Delta Dental.
Enrollment in a Delta Dental option is a two-year commitment. A new two-year commitment cycle for the University’s dental and vision plans began on Jan. 1, 2019. Elections made during Open Enrollment 2018 for coverage beginning Jan. 1, 2019 are in effect through Dec. 31, 2020.
Contact Delta Dental Member Services at 800.932.0783 or log in at deltadentalins.com.
If you enroll in dental with vision coverage, vision benefits are provided through Vision Service Providers (VSP). Vision is not available as a separate option.
- Coverage is provided for routine eye exams, contact lens care, glasses and frames.
- To view a summary of the services covered and benefits provided, please view the 2019 VSP Vision Benefits Summary [PDF] for details.
- Enhanced services are available to diabetics under the Diabetic Eyecare Plus [PDF] program.
- To maximize your plan benefits, use an in-network provider.
- Enrollment in the combined Delta Dental and VSP Vision program is a two-year commitment.
Contact VSP Member Services at 800.877.7195 or visit vsp.com.
You can use any licensed dentist or optometrist, but you will keep your out-of-pocket costs lowest if you use participating providers for your dental and vision care.
Delta Dental gives you access to two networks of participating providers: the Delta Dental PPO network and the Delta Dental Premier network. Using a dentist in the PPO network provides the best value. A dentist in the Premier network is the next best option if you can’t find a PPO dentist. Participating dentists in both networks will accept the Delta Dental payment without billing you for any uncovered balance, so you will usually save when compared to a non-participating dentist. You can search online for participating dentists at deltadentalins.com, or call Delta Dental at 800.932.0783.
VSP’s network is primarily independent doctors of optometry, but does include some retail chains. If you choose to use a non-VSP provider, your coverage is limited. To find a list of participating providers in your area, you can search online at vsp.com or call 800.877.7195.
- Most premiums are paid through pre-tax payroll deduction.
- Premiums for domestic partners and their children are paid on an after-tax basis.
- The monthly contributions listed below are based on the 12-month calendar year. Actual deductions from each paycheck will vary depending upon your deduction cycle (weekly or semi-monthly; academic year or calendar year).
Dental and Vision Contributions for 2019-2020
|Preventive Dental With or Without Vision||Preventive Dental||Preventive Dental Plus Vision|
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner||$21.38||$31.73|
|Employee + Child(ren)||$24.25||$35.48|
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner + Child(ren)||$40.50||$58.44|
|Comprehensive Dental With or Without Vision||Comprehensive Dental||Comprehensive Dental Plus Vision|
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner||$70.51||$80.86|
|Employee + Child(ren)||$69.64||$80.87|
|Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner + Child(ren)||$109.04||$126.98|
Submitting a Claim
Participating providers will submit claims on your behalf, and you will pay your share of the cost at the time of your visit. If you use non-participating providers, you may need to pay in full at the time of service and file a claim for benefits.
- Delta Dental
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained within this website is accurate. However, the benefits are governed by legal documents (which, in certain circumstances, may include insurance contracts). If there is any difference between the information in this website and the official documents, the official documents will control. As is the case with all of Syracuse University’s employee benefit plans, the University reserves the right to modify or terminate these benefits at any time.