Staffing and Alternative Work Arrangements

In some instances, supervisors may want to consider the following alternative staffing arrangements for some staff members to reduce office/building density. For faculty, determinations as to the appropriateness of alternate work arrangements will be made by the dean of the relevant school or college.

Remote Work

If a staff member has demonstrated the ability to perform productively at home, supervisors or department leaders may consider extending such arrangements. These arrangements can be made in full or for partial days/weeks. Check out tips for adopting a successful remote work strategy.

Alternate-Day Arrangements

If staff members can do only part of their work remotely, departments should consider partial on-site staffing arrangements on alternating days (e.g., half of staff in the office on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and half of the staff in the office on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.)

Compressed Work Week

A compressed work week allows staff to work a traditional 40-hour week over a shorter period of working days. The most common arrangement is four 10-hour days instead of five eight-hour days. Departments may consider compressed work weeks for their staff to further reduce office density.

Staggered Shifts

When able, supervisors should allow flexibility for the working hours of staff members. Staggering shift start and end times can help reduce office density throughout the day and especially in commonly used entryways and exits at shared arrival and departure times.

Guidance for Parents of School-Aged Children or Caregivers

If a faculty or staff member has childcare issues that prevent them from being able to report to work on campus, supervisors should work with them to determine an appropriate remote or flexible work arrangement. If their role is one that cannot be performed remotely, the faculty or staff member should contact HR Shared Services at or 315.443.4042. Alternatively, they may request to use benefit time to cover absence from work.

If you are taking care of a loved one (e.g., parent or spouse) who is ill and are therefore unable to report to work on campus, you should contact HR to apply for Paid Family Leave (PFL) and Family Medical Leave (FMLA) to cover your absence from work. As in all cases of PFL and FMLA, you’ll be required to obtain the necessary medical documentation to support this leave and meet specific eligibility requirements.

View FAQs about Office Space and Work Arrangements

This information was first published on May 29, 2020 and last updated on September 9, 2020.