Information for Staff

Our staff supports the academic mission of Syracuse University from all corners of campus and around the globe. Your work ensures our students have an unrivaled collegiate experience and keeps many facets of the University operating smoothly, behind the scenes and at the highest levels of leadership. We are committed to creating a fulfilling and supportive environment and healthy work-life balance over the span of your career.

Employees represented by a bargaining unit may wish to review additional information for bargaining unit members.

You can request new ID cards by contacting the administrator.

Note that the VSP vision plan does not produce member ID cards to mail to you, but you can print a facsimile of an ID card by logging into their site.

Have a smartphone? Download the mobile apps for Excellus BCBS, OptumRx, Delta Dental and VSP to make sure you have access to your electronic member ID card at all times. The apps also allow you to see plan benefits, find participating providers, order prescription refills, and much more. Download the free apps from iTunes or Google Play.

By logging into MySlice, you can update most of your personal information, including your address, phone number, email, emergency contact and military status. You can also add a Preferred Name, which will display in many University software systems, including as your email display name. To change your name in University records, you must provide a copy of your new Social Security card issued in your new name and complete a Name Change form [PDF]. To change your gender, contact HR Shared Services.

Review the information about reaching age 65 under balancing your life events.

Yes, generally, appointments for academic year employees are structured to continue through mid-August, so medical, dental, vision, life and disability coverage will continue through the summer.  Your paycheck deductions during the academic year are accelerated to cover your costs during the summer when you do not receive a paycheck. If you are separating from employment, all benefits end on your last day worked. Consult your supervisor or contact HR Shared Services at 315.443.4042 if you have questions about your status or benefit coverage during the summer.

You have 31 days from the date of the event (marriage, birth, adoption, etc.) to make changes to your benefits.  Contact HR Shared Services to add your new eligible family members to your existing coverage. If you do not contact us within 31 days, you must wait for the next annual enrollment (generally held in early November) to make changes to your benefits. Read more about life events such as getting married and becoming a parent, and contact HR Shared Services at 315.443.4042 with any questions.

If you need time off for your own health condition or that of a family member, review the Family and Medical Leave policy and the applicable short term disability or salary continuation benefits that may be available. You can also review other types of paid and unpaid leave for military, volunteer emergency service, and personal reasons.  Contact the HR Leave Administrator at 315.443.4042 with any questions or to initiate a leave request.

Thank you for your service to the University. Please review the information on the life events page, and contact HR Shared Services at 315.443.4042 with any questions.