Welcome to Syracuse University! As you get settled into your new position, please contact us with your questions. We’re happy to answer your questions and help you get familiar with our campus.
Below are some reminders for important items you will want to take care of soon to ensure a smooth start to your Syracuse University career. Please ask your supervisor about any department-specific requirements that aren’t listed here.
On, or before, your first day
- Go to the Office of Human Resources, 621 Skytop Road, Suite 1001, and complete the required new employee forms, including your Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) form. Be sure to bring your required documentation [PDF].
- If you haven’t already, activate your NetID for access to University computer systems, including email, electronic documents, and MySlice. MySlice is the University’s web portal where you access the University’s benefits enrollment site and other employee services.
- You must also complete your Pay Notice Acknowledgement on MySlice, using your NetID and password to log in.
In addition, we recommend
- Next, stop by Parking and Transportation Services (in the same building as the Office of Human Resources) for your parking permit. Bring your offer of employment letter for verification, your SUID number, photo ID, and your vehicle registration.
- Then, obtain an identification card from the Office of Housing, Meal Plan, and I.D. Card Services. Submit your photo by following the Submit/Update your SUID Photo instructions. When your new card is ready, you will receive an email directing you when and where to pick up the card. Housing, Meal Plan, and I.D. Card Services is located at 111 Waverly Ave, Suite 111.
- Additionally, ensure that all of your Personal Contact Information is correct in MySlice.
- Lastly, you’ll also want to speak with your supervisor to discuss your job duties and expected work schedule, confirm your understanding of your department’s objectives and how you will support them, and review any job-specific training you will need to be successful.
Recommended tasks for your first week
- Sign up for direct deposit of your pay and update your federal and/or state tax withholding status and allowances in the Payroll section of MySlice.
- Review the Orange Alert information and provide your preferred contact information in the Personal Profile section of MySlice.
- Schedule your Hazard Communication Training.
Recommended tasks for your first month
- Review benefits information and enroll in benefits as soon as possible. IMPORTANT: You must enroll within the first 31 days of employment to commence benefits as of your hire date.
- Attend New Employee Orientation. New Employee Orientation sessions are regularly held, and you should receive an email from Human Resources with details about the next session.
- Take a campus tour. If your schedule doesn’t permit a walking tour, check out a virtual visit.
- Payroll Information for New Employees
- Compliance – Required Tasks
- 2023 Benefits Guide [PDF]
- Relocation Resources
Our HR Shared Services team is here to help with any questions you may have about your employment. We can be contacted by phone at 315.443.4042 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.