When it is time for an employee to end their service with Syracuse University, managers and supervisors play a critical role to ensure a smooth transition for the employee and for the University.
- Remind the employee to review the important information about what happens to their benefits upon separation [PDF]. If the employee is retiring from service, encourage the employee to schedule a meeting with HR Shared Services to review retirement benefits and get help completing important paperwork.
- Request that the employee reviews their home address and contact information in MySlice and make any updates to ensure receipt of year-end tax forms and other communications (i.e., COBRA enrollment notice) (Note: all University departments use the permanent address on file for mailings). Any changes after separation must be called into HR Shared Services at 315.443.4042.
- Collect any University property from the employee, including:
- Equipment (e.g., laptop, phone, two-way radio, etc.)
- University credit cards
- Service passes
- Keys or access cards
- Department will need to process the retirement or separation via Peoplesoft.
- Contact your IT representative to ensure system access is disabled on the appropriate date. Review information from ITS regarding Exchange email accounts for former employees.
- Review and submit any outstanding travel reimbursements.
- Notify any external vendors or partners to disable access to purchase or use systems, supplies, or equipment associated with the University’s account.