Part-time faculty members who are eligible for Modified Benefits are provided with the following life insurance coverage.
Syracuse University Sponsored Basic Life Insurance
The University provides basic life insurance in the amount of $10,000, at no cost to you. At age 65, the coverage reduces to $6,500. You may designate a beneficiary and update that designation at any time.
Syracuse University Sponsored Basic AD&D Insurance
The University provides basic accidental death and dismemberment coverage in the amount of $3,000, at no cost to you.
Supplemental Life Insurance
You may elect additional life insurance coverage in one of the following amounts: $10,000; $20,000; $40,000; $60,000; $80,000 or $100,000. Amounts over $20,000 must be approved by MetLife. Complete the Statement of Health form and send it directly to MetLife for review. Your coverage will become effective when Human Resources is notified of MetLife’s approval.
Supplemental life insurance premiums are paid through after-tax payroll deduction. Rates for supplemental life insurance are based on your age, and your cost will be automatically adjusted to reflect changes as needed.
Monthly Cost per Thousand
|Under age 25||$0.032|
|25 through 29||$0.038|
|30 through 34||$0.051|
|35 through 39||$0.058|
|40 through 44||$0.077|
|45 through 49||$0.109|
|50 through 54||$0.173|
|55 through 59||$0.306|
|60 through 64||$0.466|
|65 through 69||$0.810|
|Age 70 and up||$1.441|
Will Preparation and Estate Resolution Services
MetLife offers Supplemental Life enrollees free will preparation/updating services and estate resolution services through MetLife Legal Plans. For details, call MetLife Legal Plans at 800.821.6400. The Syracuse University group number is 104161. Or, download the following information sheets:
Dependent Life Insurance
You may purchase life insurance for your spouse or same-sex domestic partner and your child(ren). The amount of coverage on your spouse/same-sex partner may not exceed your own combined Basic and Supplemental coverage. A Statement of Health form will be required for your spouse/same-sex partner’s coverage if it exceeds $20,000. Premiums for dependent coverage are paid through after-tax payroll deduction. Rates for spouse/same-sex partner coverage are based on age, and will be automatically adjusted to reflect changes as needed.
Monthly Cost per Thousand
|Under age 25||$0.05|
|25 through 29||$0.06|
|30 through 34||$0.08|
|35 through 39||$0.09|
|40 through 44||$0.12|
|45 through 49||$0.15|
|50 through 54||$0.23|
|55 through 59||$0.43|
|60 through 64||$0.66|
|65 through 69||$1.27|
|Age 70 and up||$2.26|
You can purchase life insurance coverage for your eligible dependent child(ren) in the amount of $10,000. Premiums are paid through after-tax payroll deduction.
- Available for unmarried children under the age of 26, provided they are dependent upon you for support and maintenance.
- Disabled children over age 26 may be eligible for continued coverage, if they were disabled prior to their 26th birthday and were previously enrolled in coverage. Approval by MetLife is required. Contact HR Shared Services to request the form, which must be completed by you and your child’s physician.
- If both parents are Syracuse University employees, both may purchase coverage on the same child and each would receive a benefit payment.
- Eligible dependents cannot also be eligible for coverage as a University employee.
- Coverage on a child cannot exceed the amount of the employee’s combined Basic and Supplemental Life coverage.
- A MetLife Statement of Health is not required to purchase this coverage.
- The employee is automatically the beneficiary of child coverage.
$10,000 per child
|Premium Cost per Paycheck|
|Paid Weekly, Fiscal Year||$0.15|
|Paid Weekly, Academic Year||$0.20|
|Paid Semi-Monthly, Fiscal Year||$0.32|
|Paid Semi-Monthly, Academic Year||$0.42|
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained within this website is accurate. However, benefits are governed by legal documents (which, in certain circumstances, may include insurance contracts). If there is any difference between the information in this website and the official documents, the official documents will control. As is the case with all of Syracuse University’s employee benefit plans, the University reserves the right to modify or terminate these benefits at any time.