As a member of our faculty, you perform the fundamental work of Syracuse University: teaching and research.
Offices dedicated to supporting you and your career:
- The Office of Faculty Affairs: Supports faculty hiring, professional development, and recognition by providing information, resources and guidance across the academic career. The office also provides programs and services to support faculty success in teaching, research and scholarly excellence.
- The Office of Human Resources: Administers your benefits and maintains employment-related records, including compensation information.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are resources available to help my spouse or partner find employment?
- Where can I find information for benefits offered to adjunct faculty?
- What benefits are available to emeriti faculty?
- How do I apply for a research, administrative, parental or disability leave of absence?
- I am a faculty member thinking about retiring. What do I need to do?
- Where can I learn more about the transition to Excellus BCBS and the medical plan changes effective Jan. 1, 2018?
- How do I get copies of my member ID cards?
- How do I update my name, address, or other information?
- I will be turning 65 next month. Does that change my benefits?
- I only work through the academic year. Do my benefits continue through the summer?
- How do I add my new spouse/child to my benefits?
Are resources available to help my spouse or partner find employment?
Syracuse University recognizes that accepting a position at the University often involves relocation and can pose challenges for faculty and administrators who are part of a dual career couple. Syracuse University’s Dual Career Network (DCN) helps the spouses and partners of faculty members find employment in the Syracuse area.
Where can I find information for benefits offered to adjunct faculty?
What benefits are available to emeriti faculty?
How do I apply for a research, administrative, parental or disability leave of absence?
I am a faculty member thinking about retiring. What do I need to do?
Where can I learn more about the transition to Excellus BCBS and the medical plan changes effective Jan. 1, 2018?
Visit our dedicated Open Enrollment website for complete information regarding benefit changes for 2018. The website includes the announcement regarding our change to Excellus along with answers to a frequently asked questions resource guide, which will be updated as needed. Contact the HR Service Center at 315.443.4042 if you need further assistance.
How do I get copies of my member ID cards?
You can request new ID cards by contacting the administrator. You can also print a copy of your card from the website.
Note that VSP does not produce member ID cards to mail to you, but you can print a facsimile of an ID card by logging into their site.
Have a smartphone? Download the mobile apps for Excellus BCBS, OptumRx, and VSP to make sure you have access to your electronic member ID card at all times. The apps also allow you to see plan benefits, find participating providers, order prescription refills, and much more. Download the free apps from iTunes or Google Play.
How do I update my name, address, or other information?
By logging into MySlice, you can update most of your personal information, including your address, phone number, email, emergency contact and military status. You can also add a Preferred Name, which will display in many University software systems, including as your email display name. To change your name in University records, you must provide a copy of your new Social Security card issued in your new name and complete a Name Change form [PDF]. To change your gender, contact the HR Service Center.
I will be turning 65 next month. Does that change my benefits?
Review the information about reaching age 65 under balancing your life events.
I only work through the academic year. Do my benefits continue through the summer?
Yes, generally, appointments for academic year employees are structured to continue through mid-August, so medical, dental, vision, life and disability coverage will continue through the summer. Your paycheck deductions during the academic year are accelerated to cover your costs during the summer when you do not receive a paycheck. If you are separating from employment, all benefits end on your last day worked. Consult your supervisor or contact the HR Service Center at 315.443.4042 if you have questions about your status or benefit coverage during the summer.
How do I add my new spouse/child to my benefits?
You have 31 days from the date of the event (marriage, birth, adoption, etc.) to make changes to your benefits. Contact the HR Service Center to add your new eligible family members to your existing coverage. If you do not contact us within 31 days, you must wait for the next annual enrollment (generally held in early November) to make changes to your benefits. Read more about life events such as getting married and becoming a parent, and contact the HR Service Center at 315.443.4042 with any questions.
For help with a topic not listed on this page, please contact HR Service Center at 315.443.4042.