Getting Married

Congratulations!  You may be busy planning a wedding, but don’t overlook these important to-dos:

  1. Changes to your benefits
    • You have 31 days from the date of the marriage to make changes to your benefits.  You may:
      • Add your spouse and any dependents to your medical, dental, and vision plans
      • Cancel your health coverage (with proof you are enrolling in your spouse’s plans)
      • Increase or decrease your health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSA), as applicable
      • Increase your supplemental life insurance, or enroll new dependents in spouse/child life insurance
    • Contact the HR Service Center to make any of these changes;  if you do not make the changes within 31 days, you must wait for the next annual enrollment to make changes to your benefits
    • You will need to provide a copy of your marriage certificate and any dependents’ birth certificates, if applicable
    • Review eligibility for transferring Remitted Tuition credits to your spouse
    • Consider changes to your voluntary retirement contributions or auto/home insurance
  2. Review and update your beneficiaries
    • You may wish to update your beneficiary designations [PDF] for basic & supplemental life insurance
    • Your spouse automatically becomes the beneficiary for 50% of your 403(b) retirement account, unless he or she signs written consent for you to name someone else as the beneficiary of more than 50% of your account.  Call TIAA at 855.842.2873 or visit for assistance.
  3. Update your name, address, emergency contact, and payroll tax withholding, as needed
    • By logging into MySlice, you can update your address, phone number, email, emergency contact and military status in the Personal Services section.
    • While in MySlice, you can also update your federal and state tax withholding status in the Employee Services – Tax Withholding Information section.
    • You can also add a Preferred Name, which will display in many University software systems, including as your email display name. To change your name in University records, you must provide a copy of your new Social Security Card issued in your new name. Complete a Name Change Form [PDF] and submit to the HR Service Center
    • To change your gender, contact the HR Service Center

Contact the HR Service Center at 315.443.4042 for additional assistance.