Syracuse University provides several kinds of leave to assist non-academic staff and other eligible employees in balancing the demands of the workplace with their personal needs.
As of January 1, 2019, the New York Paid Family Leave (NYPFL) law has been updated. It provides leave for eligible members to:
- bond with a new child
- care for a family member with a serious health condition, or
- prepare for a family member’s call to active military service
On this page:
- Eligibility for Paid Family Leave
- Benefits Available during Paid Family Leave
- Paycheck Deductions
- Waiving Coverage under Paid Family Leave
- Requesting a Paid Family Leave
- Frequently Asked Questions
Eligibility for Paid Family Leave
Staff and student employees, including graduate assistants, working in New York State are eligible if they meet the following requirements:
- If a regular work schedule is 20 or more hours per week, an employee is eligible after 26 consecutive weeks of employment;
- If a regular work schedule is less than 20 hours per week, an employee is eligible after working 175 days.
Faculty continue to be eligible for leaves of absence and paid parental leave benefits, and may request administrative leave through their departments, as appropriate. New York’s legislation establishing Paid Family Leave does not apply to those working in a teaching capacity.
Benefits Available During Paid Family Leave
Employees taking a Paid Family Leave in 2019 receive the following benefits:
- 55% of their average weekly pay, up to a maximum of 55% of the New York statewide average weekly wage (currently $1,357.11);
- Up to 10 weeks of leave, which can be taken all at once or on an intermittent basis;
- Continuation of health and other benefits with payment of the required premium contributions
New York state intends Paid Family Leave to be funded entirely by payroll deductions from covered employees. For 2019, the deduction will be 0.153% of a covered employee’s weekly wage, capped at $2.08 per week ($107.97 per year). This deduction will appear on paychecks with the description “NY FLI/EE.”
All staff will see this deduction beginning January 1, 2019. Deductions will not be taken from student employees or graduate assistants; however, they are covered by PFL upon meeting the eligibility requirements described above. Deductions will not be taken from faculty.
Waiving Coverage under Paid Family Leave
New York State only allows employees to waive participation in Paid Family Leave when their work schedule does not allow them to become eligible for a benefit. An employee who signs a waiver will not have paycheck deductions and will not be eligible for Paid Family Leave benefits. Employees may sign a waiver if:
- They are regularly scheduled to work 20+ hours per week, but are not expected to work 26 weeks for Syracuse University; or
- They are regularly scheduled to work less than 20 hours per week, but are not expected to work 175 days within a 52-week period.
Signing a waiver is voluntary, and an employee may revoke a waiver at any time; however, the eligibility requirements must be met in order for a leave to qualify for benefits. If an employee who signs a waiver has a change to their work schedule that would result in eligibility, the University will automatically revoke the waiver.
Requesting a Paid Family Leave
When you anticipate the need to take a Paid Family Leave, you should notify your supervisor and submit your request 30 days in advance. If the event requiring leave is not foreseeable, you must provide notice as soon as possible.
Complete the below forms to request the type of leave you need. Be aware that each type of leave requires its own documentation. If your leave is to care for a family member, the family member must authorize the release of their personal health information, and their health care provider must certify that they require care.
- Request for Leave to Bond with a Child
- Request for Leave to Care for a Family Member with a Serious Health Condition
- Request for Leave for a Military Exigency
Submit the completed forms to the Leave Administrator at email@example.com. You can also fax the forms to 315.443.1063 or mail them to:
HR Shared Services
Attn: Leave Administrator
Skytop Office Bldg., Suite 102
Syracuse, NY 13244
Frequently Asked Questions
Review the Frequently Asked Questions for more information about Paid Family Leave benefits at Syracuse University.
Contact the Leave Administrator at 315.443.4042 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about Paid Family Leave.