Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage through MetLife provides benefits to your family if you die, or to you if you are dismembered or paralyzed, as the result of an accident.
On this page:
- SU-Sponsored Basic AD&D Insurance
- Supplemental AD&D Insurance
- Travel Assistance Services
- Benefit Schedule
- Your Cost
- Filing a Claim
- Helpful Links
SU-Sponsored Basic AD&D Insurance
All benefits-eligible employees receive SU-sponsored basic AD&D insurance coverage in the amount of $3,000. There is no cost to you for this coverage.
You may purchase coverage in whole increments between 1 – 10 times your salary (not to exceed $2,000,000). Your Supplemental AD&D coverage cannot exceed your Supplemental Life insurance coverage.
When you purchase Supplemental AD&D coverage, you receive enhanced benefits at no additional cost, including:
- Seat Belt Benefit: pays an additional 10% benefit if you were wearing a seat belt and die in an accident while driving or riding as a passenger in a car.
- Air Bag Benefit: pays an additional 5% benefit if you were wearing a seat belt and were driving or riding in a car in a seat protected by an air bag, and die as a result of injuries sustained in an accident.
- Child Care Benefit: pays up to $5,000 per year for 4 consecutive years toward child care costs incurred after your death.
- Child Education Benefit: pays up to $10,000 per year for 4 consecutive years toward tuition charges for full-time students in college or vocational school after your death.
- Spouse Education Benefit: pays up to $5,000 for a spouse’s tuition as a full-time student after your death.
- Hospital Confinement Benefit: pays 1% of your coverage amount on a monthly basis for up to 12 months of hospital confinement resulting from an accidental injury.
- Common Carrier Benefit: pays up to the full amount of coverage if you die in an accident as a fare-paying passenger on a government regulated transportation carrier (does not include chartered or private transportation, taxis or limousines).
Travel Assistance Services
If you are faced with an emergency while traveling more than 100 miles from home, this service provides you and your dependents with medical, travel, legal and financial assistance services. These services are included at no additional cost when you enroll in Supplemental AD&D coverage.
Schedule of Covered Losses for AD&D Insurance
Covered losses are payable as a percentage of the amount of coverage in place.
|Covered Loss||Benefit Percentage|
|Loss of life||100%|
|Loss of hand above the wrist or foot below the knee||50%|
|Loss of arm above the elbow or leg above the knee||75%|
|Loss of sight in one eye||50%|
|Loss of thumb and index finger of same hand||25%|
|Loss of speech or hearing||50%|
|Paralysis of both arms and both legs||100%|
|Paralysis of both legs, or the arm and leg on either side of the body||50%|
|Paralysis of one arm or leg||25%|
|Brain damage causing complete inability to perform normal life activities||100%|
Review the Certificate of Coverage for complete details on the covered losses and benefit payments.
Supplemental AD&D coverage costs $.02 per $1,000 of coverage. Premiums are paid through pre-tax payroll deduction and are automatically calculated and adjusted as necessary during the calendar year to reflect changes in your actual salary.
Filing a Claim
Contact the HR Service Center at 315-443-4042 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to claim a dismemberment or paralysis benefit. In the event of your death, the benefit will be automatically reviewed and included in payment to your beneficiary if your death was the result of an accident.
Questions? Contact the HR Service Center at 443-4042 or e-mail email@example.com.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained within this website is accurate. However, the benefits are governed by legal documents (which, in certain circumstances, may include insurance contracts). If there is any difference between the information in this website and the official documents, the official documents will control. As is the case with all of Syracuse University’s employee benefit plans, the University reserves the right to modify or terminate these benefits at any time.