|Visit the Open Enrollment website to learn more about benefit changes for 2021.
On this page:
- Dependent Life Insurance for Spouses/Same-Sex Domestic Partners
- Dependent Life Insurance for Children
- Your Cost
- Helpful Links
Dependent Life Insurance for Spouses/Same-Sex Domestic Partners
You may purchase life insurance for your spouse/same-sex domestic partner in an amount not to exceed your own combined basic and supplemental life. You can choose coverage for your spouse/same-sex domestic partner in the amounts of $10,000 or $20,000 without providing a Statement of Health. Coverage levels of $40,000, $60,000, $80,000 and $100,000 may also be elected; however, your spouse/same-sex domestic partner must complete and submit a Statement of Health form and have it approved by MetLife. You are automatically the beneficiary of spouse/same-sex domestic partner coverage.
Dependent Life Insurance for Children
You can purchase life insurance coverage for your eligible unmarried dependent child(ren) under the age of 26 in the amount of $10,000, provided they are dependent upon you for support and maintenance. Disabled children over age 26 may be eligible for continued coverage, if they were disabled prior to their 26th birthday, were previously enrolled in coverage and MetLife approves the application. Contact HR Shared Services to request the application, which must be completed by you and your child’s physician.
Coverage on your child cannot exceed the amount of your combined basic and supplemental life coverage. A MetLife Statement of Health is not required to purchase this coverage. You are automatically the beneficiary of your child life insurance coverage.
Please note the following:
- If you and your spouse/same-sex domestic partner are Syracuse University employees, you both may purchase coverage on the same child(ren) and you both would receive a benefit payment should a child pass away.
- Your eligible dependent cannot also be eligible for coverage as a University employee.
Calculating Your Cost for Spouse/Same-Sex Domestic Partner Life Insurance
Your premium costs are based on your spouse/partner’s age and will be automatically adjusted as necessary during the calendar year to reflect changes as needed. Premiums are paid through after-tax payroll deduction.
- Find the rate based on your spouse/same-sex domestic partner’s age in the chart below (for example, the rate for a 48-year-old is $0.15).
- Divide the desired coverage level by 1,000 (for example, $80,000 divided by 1,000 = $80)
- Multiply by the rate ($80 x $0.15 = $12). This is the monthly amount.
- To determine the amount that will be deducted from each paycheck, multiply by 12 and divide by the number of checks you receive in a year:
◦Paid weekly over the fiscal year: 52 pays
◦Paid weekly over the academic year: 37 pays
◦Paid semi-monthly over the fiscal year: 24 pays
◦Paid semi-monthly over the academic year: 18 pays
Monthly Cost per Thousand
|Under age 25||$0.05|
|25 through 29||$0.06|
|30 through 34||$0.08|
|35 through 39||$0.09|
|40 through 44||$0.12|
|45 through 49||$0.15|
|50 through 54||$0.23|
|55 through 59||$0.43|
|60 through 64||$0.66|
|65 through 69||$1.27|
|Age 70 and up||$2.26|
Your Cost for Child(ren) Life Insurance
The table below shows the cost per paycheck based on each pay schedule. The cost is the same regardless of how many children you cover. Premiums are paid through after-tax payroll deduction.
$10,000 per child
|Premium Cost per Paycheck|
|Paid Weekly, Fiscal Year||$0.15|
|Paid Weekly, Academic Year||$0.20|
|Paid Semi-Monthly, Fiscal Year||$0.32|
|Paid Semi-Monthly, Academic Year||$0.42|
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained within this website is accurate. However, benefits are governed by legal documents (which, in certain circumstances, may include insurance contracts). If there is any difference between the information in this website and the official documents, the official documents will control. As is the case with all of Syracuse University’s employee benefit plans, the University reserves the right to modify or terminate these benefits at any time.