SU offers a voluntary Long-Term Disability (LTD) Plan insured through The Standard.
On this page:
- LTD Benefit
- Important Considerations for Exempt (Salaried) Employees
- Important Considerations for Non-Exempt (Hourly) Employees
- Your Cost
- Employee Assistance Services
- Helpful Links
The LTD Plan is designed to pay a benefit in the event that an eligible employee cannot work because of a covered illness or injury. The Plan provides that a portion of covered income is replaced and paid directly to the disabled employee. The Standard will pay 60 percent of your insured pre-disability earnings (reduced by deductible income from other sources such as Social Security or Worker’s Compensation) while on an approved disability following a six month waiting period. The minimum monthly benefit is $100 and the maximum monthly benefit is $12,000. Because premiums are being paid with after-tax dollars, the benefit is not subject to federal tax.
If you elect this coverage after 45 days of employment, you must complete a Medical History Statement form and be approved by The Standard before coverage will be added.
Important Considerations for Exempt (Salaried) Employees
SU currently provides long-term disability benefits to exempt employees through its Salary Continuation Plan.
- For Salary Continuation Plan benefits to be paid beyond 12 months, you must, among other things, receive a Social Security Disability Award (SSDA) by the end of your first year of disability. (Note: it can be difficult to obtain an SSDA within the 12 month period).
- If you do not receive an SSDA and you are not able to return to work after one year of disability, you are no longer covered under any salary replacement plan from SU.
- If you do receive an SSDA before the end of your first year of disability, SU’s Salary Continuation Plan will pay 50 percent of your base annual salary minus your SSDA and certain other reductions. Generally, earnings from the Salary Continuation plan are completely taxable.
As an eligible exempt employee, if you are enrolled for coverage under the voluntary LTD Plan:
- You will begin receiving 60 percent of your pre-disability earnings after the six month waiting period (reduced by any deductible income and subject to Plan limitations). These earnings are completely non-taxable.
- The definition of disability does not rely on qualifying for a SSDA.
- Benefits under SU’s Salary Continuation Plan are reduced by benefits paid under the voluntary LTD plan.
Important Considerations for Non-Exempt (Hourly) Employees
Non-exempt employees are covered by New York State Statutory Benefits (if eligible, supplemented by SU) for short term periods of disability up to 26 weeks. If you are disabled and unable to work for longer than 6 months, any compensation will cease.
If you are enrolled in the Long-Term Disability coverage under the voluntary LTD Plan, you will begin receiving 60 percent of your pre-disability earnings after the six month waiting period (reduced by any deductible income and subject to plan limitations) if your claim for benefits is approved. Your benefit is non-taxable.
Monthly premiums for the voluntary LTD coverage are determined by multiplying monthly gross pay by the rates below and dividing by 100.
|Monthly Cost/$100 of Covered Pay|
|Under age 30||$0.20|
|30 through 34||$0.24|
|35 through 39||$0.30|
|40 through 44||$0.44|
|45 through 49||$0.66|
|50 through 54||$0.96|
|55 through 59||$1.24|
|60 through 64||$1.29|
|65 through 69||$1.37|
|70 through 74||$1.77|
Rates listed here are based on the 12-month calendar year. Actual deductions from each paycheck will vary depending upon your deduction cycle.
Employee Assistance Services
As an added benefit employees enrolled in LTD through The Standard have access to certain employee assistance services free of charge. These services include 24-hour telephone counseling from a master’s-degreed clinician who can provide referrals if longer term counseling is appropriate, as well as case management and a variety of online resources. Please be aware that these services are not integrated with the Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) or with the Syracuse University Medical Plan.
- The Standard
- Voluntary Group LTD Insurance Booklet
- Medical History Statement for The Standard
- Non-Exempt Disability Benefits
- Salary Continuation Plan
- Employee Assistance Services through The Standard for those who purchase voluntary LTD
Questions? Contact the HR Service Center at 443-4042 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained within this website is accurate. However, the benefits are governed by legal documents (which, in certain circumstances, may include insurance contracts). If there is any difference between the information in this website and the official documents, the official documents will control. As is the case with all of Syracuse University’s employee benefit plans, the University reserves the right to modify or terminate these benefits at any time.