|Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:
I hope that the start to your summer is going well. Despite the vast majority of our community being away from campus for the summer months, we have been very busy at the Department of Public Safety (DPS).
We continue to implement recommendations made by former Attorney General Loretta Lynch. I want to highlight some of the progress:
· We are currently in the process of interviewing candidates for our next campus peace officer academy.
· We have secured space on South Campus for students to drop in and share their questions and concerns with our staff.
· We have posted our Standard Operating Procedures to the DPS website consistent with recommendation No. 4 from the report conducted by Loretta Lynch.
· We have posted our investigative steps to the DPS website.
· The DPS staff attended in-service training in June that included all elements and the definition of a hate crime, related terminology and proper investigative steps leading up to conclusion.
· A project team has been established to develop the technical requirements for posting appropriate crime and incident data to the DPS website.
· As of tomorrow, July 1, the campus safety escort service will be managed by Parking and Transportation Services.
Again, this is just a highlight of the work achieved to date. To review the status of all recommendations, please visit the DPS website.
As a reminder, if you have any information about an incident on our campus, please call DPS at 315.443.2224. You can anonymously report non-emergency information to DPS through the Silent Witness tool or the Rave Guardian mobile app.
Stay safe and have a terrific summer!
Chief Bobby Maldonado