You’re Hired!

Congratulations on your new job at Syracuse University!  Set yourself up for success by doing the following:

  1. Once you are hired, confirm your schedule with your supervisor, including any particular scheduling needs associated with classes, visits home and breaks.
  2. Before your first day, go to Human Resources Student Employment Services (HRSES) to complete an I-9 form [PDF] with acceptable documentation [PDF].

I-9 Requirements

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services requires that each individual employed in the United States complete an I-9 Employment Verification [PDF]. This includes student employees.

Students will complete their I-9 in person at the HRSES office, 210 Steele Hall.

Students will need to present original documentation that must include a picture I.D. and another government document such as a Social Security Card or a U.S. Birth Certificate. A U.S. Passport or an Alien Registration Card may also be used. Consult the complete list for specifics on acceptable documentation.

Students can complete their I-9 prior to securing a job. The form must be completed before students begin work.

Your First Few Days on the Job

  1. Meet with your immediate supervisor to discuss your job responsibilities, any training for the job, your schedule and a contact name and phone number you should call if you cannot work your scheduled shift. Ensure that someone will be supervising you at all times.
  2. Ask for a tour of your work place.
  3. Ask your supervisor if you have been placed on the payroll system and find out where you should pick up your paycheck.
  4. Consider enrolling in direct deposit. Your pay will be deposited directly into your bank account. If you are working on-campus, enroll by logging into your MySlice account and follow the link in the Employee Services section. If you are working off-campus, ask your supervisor how to enroll in their direct deposit plan. If you have a problem with your pay or you do not receive your pay, contact your supervisor immediately.
  5. If you are using Federal Work Study, keep track of how much you earn to ensure you do not go over your award amount.

Your workplace should be respectful and free from harassment. If you feel that you or someone you know is being harassed, please contact HRSES at 315.443.2268 for assistance.

Student Wages

A minimum on-campus student wage is established each academic year. Effective 12/31/2018, the student minimum wage is $11.10 per hour.


The pay period for all hourly student employees is Thursday through Wednesday. Paychecks are distributed on Wednesdays and are available for pick up from your employer. A student should receive his/her first paycheck within the first two weeks of employment. Direct deposit to a student’s checking or savings account is available and students may request this option through MySlice in the Employee Services section. Problems with pay, such as missing hours or potential errors, should be brought to the attention of your employer as soon as possible to resolve the issue, or contact HRSES for assistance.


All FWS and non-FWS earnings are subject to federal and state income tax. Students must submit a W-4 form to the Payroll Office. Payroll will mail a W-2 statement to the student’s permanent address as it appears in the Student Records System by January 31 for the previous calendar year. Students paid by an off-campus employer will receive their W-2 statement directly from their employer.


Student employees are not eligible for benefits such as sick leave, holiday pay, vacations or retirement plans, but they are eligible for worker’s compensation under provisions of New York State law. Worker’s compensation covers expenses for medical care and certain benefits for loss of pay resulting from injuries or disabilities incurred on the job. Supervisors should be contacted as soon as possible in the event of on-the-job injuries to complete the necessary reports.

Basic Guidelines for International Student Employees

If you are an international student, there are specific rules for working on-campus.  The Slutzker Center for International Services website contains helpful information about on-campus employment, the I-9 verification process, and obtaining a Social Security number:

Questions? Contact HRSES at 315.443.2268.